A mutual exchange is an exchange of properties between two or more tenants.
Please note: you cannot exchange homes if you have a starter tenancy
The landlords involved must approve the exchange in writing before it can go ahead.
The exchange must be done by mutual agreement; each party must agree to the exchange and assign their tenancy to the other.
You can exchange with:
• Another South Shropshire Housing Association tenant
• Another Meres and Mosses Housing Association tenant
• A tenant of another housing association
• A council tenant
Approval can be withheld for the following reasons:
• A property is larger than necessary for either party
• A property is not big enough and would create overcrowding
• The landlord is a charitable trust or a housing association and the exchange conflicts with the purposes of the trust or housing association
• The dwelling has been adapted for a disabled person, and the new tenant has no need for specialist housing
• Legal action for the possession of either home is in progress.
There is a charge for the gas and electric checks that have to be carried out as part of the exchange. This will be discussed with you as part of the application process.
Shropshire HomePoint now hold the mutual exchange register.
How to Register
There are a number of ways to make an application.
- If you already have login details for the Shropshire HomePoint website you can add a mutual exchange application to your account. To do this go to "My Mutual Exchange" and select "Click here to complete a mutual exchange application".
- Apply online at www.shropshirehomepoint.co.uk . Once your website registration is complete, select "To apply for mutual exchange click here". Answer all questions to submit your application.
- An application form can be printed from their website or requested on 0300 303 8595.
What are the advantages of Mutual Exchange
- You can look at mutual exchanges whilst also continuing to place bids on the waiting list.
- It may be the quickest way to move to another property.
- Mutual exchange offers a higher number of potential properties with a greater choice of areas than on the housing register alone.
- You can swap your home as many times as you like.
- It does not need to be a like for like swap, just suitable for your needs.