We want you and your families to be as safe as possible in your home. Home fires are a real danger, so we thought we’d give you a few tips to reduce the risk of it happening.
- Don’t place items on, or close to heaters, lamps or other electrical equipment
- Don’t leave the kitchen when cooking
- Keep your oven, hob, grill clean and in good working order (a build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire)
- Don’t block doorways, windows. These are vital exits for you if a fire does start. It also stops firefighters being able to help
- Make sure electrical appliances have an British or European safety mark when you buy them
- Don’t overload your extension cables. Certain appliances, such as washing machines, should have a single plug to themselves, as they are high powered
- Make sure your furniture (sofa or chairs) have a fire resistant permanent label
- Unplug appliances when you’re not using them or when you go to bed – e.g. mobile phone chargers
- Candles are pretty – but dangerous, remember put them out when you leave a room
Why not start a weekly ‘Test it Tuesday’ in your home? A regular test of your Smoke alarm (as per the manufactures instructions) will ensure that they’re working properly. If a fire starts, the alarm will sound and give you, and your loved ones time to get out of your home safely. Please note: It is your responsibility to change the batteries in your smoke alarms.